Thursday, February 18, 2010

Shock

Today was generally an uneventful day. Yet again, I was feeling tired all day and at 8pm I decided to go to bed. I'd just settled down when I thought I heard my mobile ring. As I recognised the ringtone as belonging to my parents, I got up to check and found a message from my dad. Unlike my mother, if he sounds concerned, it is going to be genuine so I rang him back.

Then came the great shock as he told me my mother's had a major heart attack and is in the Coronary Care Unit. Even though I have a rocky relationship with my mother, this news hit me hard and the first thing that went through my head as he said "major heart attack" was that she was dead. As my parents think I'm away until tomorrow night, I couldn't do anything like go round there as it'll blow my story out of the water, besides, I'm still not sure I can drive and I've taken my evening meds so there's no way I should be driving.

Luckily, I could call up my good friend who calmed me down and told me things to do such as phoning the hospital to see how my mother is and getting them to pass on a message to my mother. Much as I detest the woman, I do feel sorry for her for being so ill - it's not something I'd wish on anyone especially something a frightening as a heart attack.

The hardest part is probably yet to come as my dad has asked me to not do anything that would stress my mother. Given the nature of our relationship, this could be quite tricky but 'll give it my best shot. Maybe this will be the turning point in our relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment