Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Not such good news

Today I had yet another appointment at the eye clinic to find out why my vision has deteriorated and I finally got my answer. It turns out I've got cataracts in both my eyes which will mean surgery at some point. From what i can remember, the doctor said this might not be soon as my general vision was pretty good. You'd think he'd be able to refer me to the relevant clinic there and then but no, NHS red tape jumped in to mess things up. I've got to go back to my GP and get her to refer me to the cataract clinic (it's got something to do with who pays for the treatment). The earliest appointment I can get is Monday afternoon and even then I could be waiting up to 18 weeks before I get seen.

In the meantime, I think I may have to go to the optician to get new glasses so that I can see to do ordinary everyday things like using my laptop and driving. At least I've now got a reason for my sight problems in low light, the question for me is, how dod all this happen? I knew I had a cataract in my left eye but it hadn't given me any problems for a couple of years. The only thing that I can point the finger at is my anti-psychotic meds as I know someone else who's cataracts were caused by this type of drug. Now it's a case of playing the waiting game, waiting for an appointment and then waiting to see what treatment, if any, they're going to suggest.

No comments:

Post a Comment